About Us

We are a group of students at American University who are attempting to document how technology has come to influence our culture. Every day we use our cell phones, MP3 players, and computers without even realizing how they may be affecting us. We hope to encourage others to participate in the observation of technology in our everyday lives. This project was inspired by Caleb Crain's article in the New Yorker; Surveillance Society.

Tuesday, December 5, 2006

At the Reserves

While working in the reserves section of the library today a student came up to request a book. The student was listening to a ipod with a pink plastic case covering it. She gave me the call number but never took out her earphones or turned off her ipod. when i got the book for her I handed it to her. She took the book without saying anything or ever removing her ipod. It seemed she was more involved in her "iWorld" then in the real world.
Another student with an ipod came to the desk a few hours later to request a book. He removed on earpiece asked how I was doing and gave me the call number. When I retrieved the book for him, he thanked me, replaced his earphone and left.

No comments: